10 September 2009

Sketch Cards






These cool things have just leapt into to my life. I know they have been around for awhile but I really never got any request to do them until recently. I find them a great way to break the monotony of whatever you are working on. A perfect example of this is when I was recently commissioned to do a pin up and cover for a comic and the rigors of penciling, inking, and coloring, especially the flats were getting to me. I felt a bit stagnant working on these pieces because all of my free art time was spent drawing them. Now don’t get me wrong I love to draw and even if I am drawing something I don’t want to draw I still really enjoy myself. Point being, I needed a break. So I whipped up a couple of the sketch card commissions I had to do to give me the release I needed.


If you have never done sketch cards or haven’t gotten any request for them I would recommend you try a few. One of the real positives is for clients that want a piece of original art but really don't want to pay a ton of money. For an artist, a positive is a quick departure from what you are working on. You will get a quick sense of satisfaction you get from a completed piece in a fraction of the time and this, to me, is a great motivator.

No comments: